This has a collection of the most beautiful poems and sentences I have ever read! I bought this on a whim, because a friend of mine really loved it, and damn, I’ll never regret that decision!
This book is a collection of poems about love, loss, trauma, abuse, healing, and femininity.
I wanted to share my top 15 of her poems. They are all amazing, but some in particular just reached so deep into me, like I related to them on another level.
- People go but how they left always stays
This quote she wrote is so so true. People WILL leave you, and you might forget them with time, but the thing you never forget is the FEELING that you experienced when they left.
- Accept yourself as you were designed
I love this! It’s kind of a simple one, but damn is there depth there.
- How you love yourself is how you teach others to love you
This is similar to that popular saying about how you treat yourself being how others will treat you, but when you change that word to LOVE then you make the saying mean that much more.
- The way they leave tells you everything
I feel like you can use this to tell yourself that how someone leaves you tells you everything about them, and how you can’t let them back in your life.
- What terrifies me most is how we foam at the mouth with envy when others succeed, but sigh in relief when they are failing. Our struggle to celebrate each other is what’s proven most difficult in being human
This! Someone said it! People always want to achieve stuff, and when others do we get jealous, and then we feel satisfaction when they fail? What kind of people are we if this is how we think?
- I have what I have and I am happy. I’ve lost what I’ve lost and I am still happy
This is so simple, but is so precious. Being happy with what you have, even though you have lost a lot, you are still satisfied with what you have.
- She was a rose in the hands of those who had no intension of keeping her
This makes me so sad, but I love it still. It’s not that long, yet it says a lot.
- Every time you tell your daughter you yell at her out of love, you teach her to confuse anger with kindness, which seems like a good idea till she grows up to trust men who hurt her cause they look so much like you
This is such a relevant quote. I myself, have sweet loving parents who almost never yell at me, but I have friends who have over protective fathers who get angry with them a lot, because they are trying to protect them, but that ends up sending mixed messages.
- I want to apologise to all the women I have called pretty before I’ve called them intelligent or brave. I am sorry I made it sound as though something as simple as what you’re born with is the most you have to be proud of when your spirit has crushed mountains. From now on I will say things like you are resilient or you are extraordinary not because I don’t think you’re pretty but because you are so much more than that
I now, will also not call another girl pretty before I call her intelligent, because no one should weigh their worth in something so temporary.
- Sometimes the apology never comes when it is wanted, and when it comes it is neither wanted nor needed
I love this because I feel like this is true for so many people. Sometimes the apology comes to late, what they’ve done is done, whats been hurt has hurt, and has healed, and you have moved on.
- You have to stop searching for why, at some point, you have to leave it alone
I should really listen to this because I always wonder why about things that have happened years ago, and its too late to ask, people probably wouldn’t even remember, yet the questions still lingers somewhere in my mind.
- For you to see beauty here does not mean there is beauty in me, it means there is beauty rooted so deep within you you can’t help but see it everywhere
This is so beautiful, and I wish that one day there is so much beauty and happiness in me, that I see beauty everywhere and that I find happiness in everything.
- Some people are so bitter, to them you must be kindest
I like this a lot, because if someone is bitter, than they have clearly not had the best experience either that day or in their life in full, and so, even though you may not want to, you should be kind to them, because they probably need it the most.
- I don’t know what living a balanced life feels like. When I’m sad I don’t cry I pour, when I am happy I don’t smile I glow, when I am angry I don’t yell I burn. The good think about feeling in extremes is when I love I give them wings, but perhaps that isn’t such a good thing ’cause they always tend to leave and you should see me when my heart is broken. I don’t grieve, I shatter.
I feel like this is ME. You guys all saw how shattered I was after all that drama, and how happy I can be sometimes. I feel like I have the most unpredictable emotions.
- If the hurt comes so will the happiness
I wanted to end with this one because it’s basically saying that things will always get better.
Rupi Kaur has the most amazing way of writing and I really hope that one day she writes another book of poems so I can love that one too. Milk and honey is definitely one of my favourites things to ever read, and I feel like you can use it almost as a bible, where you read through it whenever you are struggling and need something to hold onto.